Fine Art/Eng by A.B. Walter "Attention Sir" painted by Carl Boker, published by John Danity 31 S.6th S.Philadelphia.

Dear Sir,
The print is in black and white depicting two boys a dog and a cat in the backgound.  It is an adorable subject.

I just would like to know if you can locate any information on this.  Or you could please direct me as to where to inquire next.
Is this picture 'appraisal' worthy? I can find little on my own on this particular picture.

Thank you kindly,

Hi E.G,

I've spent some time researching this engraving, but regrettably I can find little information. The engraver is Adam B. Walter who was born in Philadelphia in 1820 and died there in 1875. He was a pupil of Thomas B Welch, and was associated with Welch in the engraving business until 1848. He was an excellent engraver of portraits, chiefly executed in mezzotint. Many of his subjects included influential American figures such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Charles D. Meigs, John Fries Frazer and Edgar Allan Poe and these engravings can command high figures.

I suspect an engraving after a Karl Boker painting would be of less commercial interest, however boys playing with dogs and cats is an intrinsically saleable subject. Walter is unquestionably an important American Engraver, so perhaps these two elements will contribute to a strong value.

I would recommend contacting the Philadelphia Print Shop as they may wish to buy the print off you, or could provide you with a valuation:

Best wishes,

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)

I can answer all questions on Fine Art, particularly the indentification of pictures (paintings, prints etc). My specialist areas are old master prints, printmaking, early Flemish painting, Dutch golden age painting, fin-de-siecle, Impressionism, Victorian, all British painting.

I've worked for the National Gallery, London and Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in research and curatorial capacities. I'm currently a director of Pieta Fine Art Ltd.

The Guardian

PhD Early Flemish painting (incomplete), MA History of Art, BA History of Art (Hons)

Neil MacGregor Scholarship