Fine Art/Artist Mhire Barrientos

Jean Stokkermans wrote at 2012-01-04 13:06:16
Dear Trish, Dear Tim,

I happened to see this posting as I was looking through the web for information on the same artist. I was curious as my parents bought a picture from him in La Paz in the 60's.

My conclusion is that the artist is really Moises Chire Barrientos (1932 Oruro - Bolivia, started exposing in 1948 and has won prices in Bolivian expositions). See:

If you look closely at pictures on google, you will see that the signature reads as Mhire Barrientos.

Jean-Marie Stam wrote at 2012-01-10 08:47:42
Hello; I saw this question as I was looking on the internet for more information on this artist, as my  parents have a painting by him too. I think the artist is Moises Chire Barrientos, a contemporary bolivian artist born in Oruro in 1932. If you google pictures by him, you will see the signature reads as Mhire Barrientos, where the M is a contraction of an M and a C. See also

Chire barrierntos seems well known in Bolivia. His later work (>1989) is criticized for being too comercial but his earlier work seems well liked.

J. Stam

Jean Stokkermans wrote at 2012-01-11 12:26:58

By mistake I posted the same answer twice (one under my maiden name Stam and one under my married name Stokkermans). I am sorry about that. Would it be possible to delete either one of the answers? Tnaks!

Chuck wrote at 2015-12-24 16:57:21
Nearly 20 years ago I met Chire Barrientos on a central plaza in La Paz, Bolivia where, on Sundays, artists display the work for sale. The magnificent painting of his that I bought is my prized possession. It depicts in his unique style a landscape of the altiplano and surrounding mountains apparently at dusk with clouds of perhaps an impending storm - shades of red, orange, brown, tinges of black of the oncoming nighttime, and at the top some purple and hints of blue of remaining daylight. I later visited his store in La Paz and examined other incredible works (at somewhat higher prices as I recall). As noted elsewhere my painting is signed Mhire Barrientos.

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)

I can answer all questions on Fine Art, particularly the indentification of pictures (paintings, prints etc). My specialist areas are old master prints, printmaking, early Flemish painting, Dutch golden age painting, fin-de-siecle, Impressionism, Victorian, all British painting.

I've worked for the National Gallery, London and Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in research and curatorial capacities. I'm currently a director of Pieta Fine Art Ltd.

The Guardian

PhD Early Flemish painting (incomplete), MA History of Art, BA History of Art (Hons)

Neil MacGregor Scholarship