Fine Art/heywood hardy

Question
Please can you tell me if there is a way of finding out the NAME of the lady  riding side saddle, she is wearing  a navy blue outfit with a tricorn hat and a single fox hound dog. I have reproduced the outfit for a period costume side saddle riding class  and need to do a resume for the commentator. The painting is called Sporting Elegance. (similar paintings are a hunting morn and drawing cover - similar period  but different hats) all by Heywood Hardy. I would be grateful if you could let me know if there is a way of finding out further information. Thank you so much.

Answer
Hi Jane,

I think this one will be near impossible. I expect she was a model and the information probably not recorded. Heywood Hardy did once paint Osbert Sitwell's mother Ida, but sadly this isn't her!

There's a small chance that it could be the artist's daughter Mabel Hardy who married Somerset Maugham's elder brother Charlie - however this is pure speculation.

There was an essay written by Brian Stewart for British Sporting Art Trust - it's difficult to get hold of, but there is a copy in the National Art Library which is based upstairs in the Victoria & Albert Museum.

http://catalogue.nal.vam.ac.uk/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1Y1K66462329W.8757&profil

This is the pretty much the only published writing on Heywood Hardy (certainly the most extensive), apart from some contemporary accounts/reviews of exhibitions etc, so if the information exists (and I doubt it does), it's your last hope. The NAL have a photocopy service where they'll send you a copy for a small fee which will save you a visit.

Best wishes,
Tim

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)