Fine Art/old sepia engraving artwork

picture 001
picture 001  
QUESTION: I have what appears to be an 1830's Florence Italy sepia toned engraving. It says M Ponte Vecchio Dagli Uffizi and has a mark that is a circle with a crown-under the crown is the letter G-under that is FIRENZE. It doesn't look to me like what I would imagine poster or print paper to look like. It appears to have a texture. How can you tell if it is authentic?

ANSWER: Dear Sandra,

I cannot see much in the photo. Where is the writing you describe and is it printed or hand written? Have you removed it from the frame? If it is an engraving, it should have plate marks, (unless it is trimmed to the plate and no longer has margins). If an engraving, it should not have texture such as in a painting. My suggestion is you remove it from the frame and/or take it to an art gallery or museum and let them take a look at it for you. I believe it is a copy of an engraving due to the copyright mark you mentioned. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

QUESTION: The writing is on the bottom to the left of the copyright mark. I can't tell if it printed or hand written. I haven't removed it from the frame because the paper on the back is glued to the frame. There are more pictures on photobucket. sign on is  sammy0113     password is  simple01
Will that help? It just looks so old to me. Are copies ever valuable?
I guess I will take it to a gallery. I hope they don't laugh at me!!!

thanks for your help,

Hello Sandra,
I have tried several times to access the photos, but I must have the information incorrect. I am fairly certain you have a print after a drawing that is in one of the museums in Florence. I have one fairly similar in my gallery. If it is a quality image the value can be up to $100 or maybe just a bit more. I think I have one listed for $75. I completely understand any hesitation to ask an opinion from a gallery. Even though I have been a gallery consultant in the past, I am a rare example of someone in the fine art industry willing to help without being condescending. I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.