Fine Art/question about a painting

I purchased a painting today that I know absolutely nothing about,
other than that it is extremely old.  I purchased it from the estate of a woman who just recently passed away and had an amazing collection. The canvas is stretched over wood with shims in the corners of the very old but beautiful frame.  The painting is of a old italian woman wearing a reddish scarf.  She is fabulous and the detail and expression on her face is amazing. the painting is signed Petrocelli on the right bottom area right below her chest.  The signature is in a reddish color also. It is stunning and I fell in love with it the minute I saw it.  Do you know how I could find out more about this painting or this artist?

Hi Mary,

Are you able to upload an image or email it to me

From your description it sounds like it could be the work of three very similar artists: Achille Petrocelli, Arturo Petrocelli or Vincenzo Pasquale Angelo Petrocelli, but I'd need to see an image to confirm which one.

Best wishes,

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)

I can answer all questions on Fine Art, particularly the indentification of pictures (paintings, prints etc). My specialist areas are old master prints, printmaking, early Flemish painting, Dutch golden age painting, fin-de-siecle, Impressionism, Victorian, all British painting.

I've worked for the National Gallery, London and Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in research and curatorial capacities. I'm currently a director of Pieta Fine Art Ltd.

The Guardian

PhD Early Flemish painting (incomplete), MA History of Art, BA History of Art (Hons)

Neil MacGregor Scholarship