Fine Art/unknown artist

Lost In The Woods
Lost In The Woods  
QUESTION: I have a oil painting on canvas that was given to my wife by a very good friend that passed some time ago never told her ware she got it only that she got it in the late 40s and that she paid over $400.00 to have it framed she loved this painting as does my wife I'm just frustrated that i can't find out who the artist is can you help thank you very much Donald D.

ANSWER: Donald, I cannot see the artists name but based on what I see, it looks to be decorative painting.

QUESTION: here is the artists name that is on the painting thank you very much Donald Deetjen

Donald, the signature looks like Altenoff or Altoneff. I cannot find any info on that artist. Still, that being said, it is a decorative painting and only has nominal worth. If you are still not satisfied, I would take it to one of your local auction houses and they would be able to give you an answer also.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University