Fine Art/art work info

Question
Maas at Dordrecht
Maas at Dordrecht  
I purchased a framed artwork from an estate sale .
on the back it reads:
CATALDA FINE ARTS, INC.NEW YORK,N.Y.
Title: 8312 The Maas at Dordrecht
Artist   CUYP
Frame No. ?? SA 304
I know it must be a reproduction but would you have any idea if it is a oil painting or some other kind.
Any help would be great,
Thanks,Doug""

Answer
Hi Doug,
So you have done the research to find that Aelbert Cuyp is the master Dutchman who executed this harbor scene back in the seventeeth century.  And you already know that the original hangs in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.  (Aren't we Americans lucky?)

To learn more about what you have, I recommend you steer your research in two new directions:
(1) Alfred Bell & Company vs. Catalda Fine Arts, Southern District of NY, 1948-9
and same on appeal in Federal 2nd District Court, 1951.  They still teach this case on copyright in law school...it's of interest.  Catalda sold in 1983 to another reproduction firm in the mid-west.

(2) mezzotint   

Looks like you have a pretty handsome frame on that piece.  

Enjoy it.
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright