Fine Art/art work info

Maas at Dordrecht
Maas at Dordrecht  
I purchased a framed artwork from an estate sale .
on the back it reads:
Title: 8312 The Maas at Dordrecht
Artist   CUYP
Frame No. ?? SA 304
I know it must be a reproduction but would you have any idea if it is a oil painting or some other kind.
Any help would be great,

Hi Doug,
So you have done the research to find that Aelbert Cuyp is the master Dutchman who executed this harbor scene back in the seventeeth century.  And you already know that the original hangs in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.  (Aren't we Americans lucky?)

To learn more about what you have, I recommend you steer your research in two new directions:
(1) Alfred Bell & Company vs. Catalda Fine Arts, Southern District of NY, 1948-9
and same on appeal in Federal 2nd District Court, 1951.  They still teach this case on copyright in law's of interest.  Catalda sold in 1983 to another reproduction firm in the mid-west.

(2) mezzotint   

Looks like you have a pretty handsome frame on that piece.  

Enjoy it.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration