Fine Art/dancing gypsy women

I have a water color on a board On the back shows rodolf lesch fine arts. #1064 Clemente, Garrotin. made in Aug.1952, unable to read artest name.

Rudolph Lesch Fine Arts was an outfit that manufactured reproduction art, and sold every piece with a coded number on the back.  There have been numerous firms in the same business, Catalda Fine Arts was another.  Often, manufactured pieces sold as "masterpieces" and with "certificates of authenticity," "limited edition numbers," and so forth.   Sometimes original artists received small commissions or sold the rights to reproduce...but more often not. As discretionary incomes rose in the post WWII years, a "middlebrow" interest in owning artworks spread ferociously.  Artwork was even mass marketed in the famous Sears & Roebuck catalog!  In more recent years, manufactured paintings and wall hangings are produced inexpensively overseas, typically in Asia, many times displaying a wonderful signature with a Western European name such as "Diego" or "Ricardo" or such.

You can well imagine that the fine art market is something entirely different than this commercial art manufacturing industry. Fine art connotes an original piece executed by a highly trained, skilled artist who produces art primarily for aesthetic expression, and who is recognized within the art world.  

Not to say that you may not enjoy your dancing gypsy women.  If you like what you own, put in a spot where you'll see it every day.  I would suggest it is worth not much more than you paid for it.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration