Fine Art/Hudson Valley

Hi, let me start by saying thanks for your time. A while back I picked up this oil on canvas with an unsigned Orientalist portrait. This painting is signed but it has me wondering....
This measures 16x12, no date but a signature that appears to read G Inness. The other painting(Orientalist Portrait) I can date to pre 1920 by the inscription (ownership) on the back. I would appreciate your opinion.

My guess is this is a 100 year old counterfeit!

Sorry for the broken links. These should work.

Looks to me like even "G Innes" is the signature?  Missing a second "s"?
In any case, the signature looks like a phoney to me, the curly-cue serif on his "I"
is wrong.  And the painting is dead wrong for our famous tonalist/Barbizon style painter.

I would back your guess.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration