Fine Art/information on old water container, (i think)

Question
old container
old container  
Hello Sir,

I came across a old container that I believe to be a water container (I think). I was hoping you could possibly provide a bit more information.

Thank you.

Answer
Re: The object.
Thank you for the request.
I am familiar with the typology, however there are a few loose ends which need to be sorted out in order to pin-pointed in order to narrow the field.
In order to assist you any further, I would need the following information;
- a good clear image showing the top lid including the writing/symbols.
- you would need to put it on some weighing scales to give me an idea of the weight.
- you would also need to send  me a much clearer side view picture, but with  the object standing next to a modern lighter, or a box of matches, or a pack of cigarettes to give me some idea of the  dimensions /scale.
- you would also need to scratch/nick the inside with the sharp point of a knife, in order to give me an indication of the  material; i.e. wood, ceramics, copper, iron etc.
-you would also need to establish the nature of the chord on the outside;  hemp, reeds, bark, or synthetics.
- furthermore, I would  also need to have very good images of the hinge and lid, both inside - and
outside.
- you would also need to send me a very clear  image of the bottom of the object.

Due to the constraints of the site, you will need to send all images separately, sorry but this is a technical issue and beyond my control.

I look forward to receiving the new images.
Take care.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo