Fine Art/John Hoppner Painting

John Hoppner
John Hoppner  
Hi,  I recently inherited an absolutely painting and was told it was titled, The Bowden Children. The picture which measures 22 3/4" across & 27" 1/4 up & down & is in a very old frame. This painting has swirl like designs as pictured. I have attached some photos and any info would help, appreciate. Thanks Alexis

John Hoppner is a well known British portrait artist of the late eighteenth century.  You can readily find biographical information on Wikipedia and other online websources.  

Hard to tell from your picture, but the swirls could be in the varnish layer that covers the oil, or could be rough brushstrokes in the oil itself.  Very likely it could use a good cleaning, but if you plan to sell it, let the auction house or dealer have it done.  You'll save $1,000 and the dealer can have it done by a trusted partner they value.  

Let me suggest that the best prices achieved, and the largest number of his painting sold, have been by the London auction houses.  I would recommend you photograph the front of the painting, without flash, (perhaps outside in good indirect light.) Shoot similar hi-res shots of the canvas backing, and a closeup of the signature.  Send these to either Sotheby's London, Christies - London, or Bonhams London.  If they decide you have an authentic Hoppner, it would be well worth the shipping charges to get to the best market.  

I do not profess expertise in UK portrait artists, but I would comment that this picture is a bit different than the artist's usual repertoire of richly textured, color saturated, dark portraits of gentlemen or their ladies.  

Best of luck in your research,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration