Fine Art/leo von konig painting

lkonig painting
lkonig painting  
I have a landscape painting signed lkonig.  I was wondering if you could look that these pictures and let me know what you think.   Thanks...

Dear Neil,

This painting isn't by Leo Von König - it is possibly by another Konig or perhaps the name is made up. This style and subject make up a class of paintings I would call 'furnishing pictures' - they were prevalent in the mid-20th century (1960/70s) and are almost exclusively alpine landscapes. They were quickly produced in a very formulaic way - for example, they used stencils for the tree leaves to aid the speedy production. I would say many of the names on these paintings were nom de plumes/fantasised and many were produced in factories in asia.

Kind regards,

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)

I can answer all questions on Fine Art, particularly the indentification of pictures (paintings, prints etc). My specialist areas are old master prints, printmaking, early Flemish painting, Dutch golden age painting, fin-de-siecle, Impressionism, Victorian, all British painting.

I've worked for the National Gallery, London and Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in research and curatorial capacities. I'm currently a director of Pieta Fine Art Ltd.

The Guardian

PhD Early Flemish painting (incomplete), MA History of Art, BA History of Art (Hons)

Neil MacGregor Scholarship