Fine Art/Original Painting

Question
Unsure
Unsure  
I have attached a photo of a painting handed down to me from my Aunt.  She lived in Indiana (United States) but (we think) traveled to Spain throughout her life.  We know she imported some paintings.
Could you tell us ANYTHING about this painting/artist?  Measures 23 1/2 x 19 1/2.  On original canvas.  (number tags on the back)
Thank you!

Answer
Debbie,
I just returned from a trip to Spain this summer.  While there I saw many outdoor markets, festooned sidewalks and lively festivals where paintings were offered.  Europe is littered with excellent salesfolk, who eagerly capitalize on the excellent mood of summer tourists enjoying themselves (and a bit lost in the Euro-Dollar conversions, if not the sangria!) In Madrid, I am sure I spotted many recently produced paintings similar to yours, right across the street from the Prado.

All this to say that I do not normally comment on European artworks, and this is not likely the work of a listed fine artist.  But I would suggest that your aunt may have fancied the bright colors and gaiety of the piece, and brought it home (whether from Spain or elsewhere) with an idea of precisely what spot in her home it might fill. She obviously took pleasure from owning it.  And she connected this joy to her relationship with you.  A large framed oil on canvas!  Nice!

So, enjoy it!  It is certainly evocative of bright, lively times!  

Stuart Cartwright