Fine Art/Please Help...

unknown picture
unknown picture  

We have come accross a painting in a wonderful frame at a car boot sale recently, we really like the picture as it suits our style in the house.

The painting is not signed (it maybe covered up by the border).

We have checked it under a eye piece and it is defiantely a painting as you can see the brush strokes clearly.

If you could help us as we really love the painting and would like to find the artist to maybe get some more in the future.

Ian & Val

Dear Ian & Val,

Regrettably the painting is a copy of a 17th century Dutch 'Golden Age' painting - it was probably produced in China.

It's similar to the work of van Mieris, Cornelis Bega etc, and the original will be a recognised work. Given time I could locate where the original is.

Kind regards,

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)

I can answer all questions on Fine Art, particularly the indentification of pictures (paintings, prints etc). My specialist areas are old master prints, printmaking, early Flemish painting, Dutch golden age painting, fin-de-siecle, Impressionism, Victorian, all British painting.

I've worked for the National Gallery, London and Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in research and curatorial capacities. I'm currently a director of Pieta Fine Art Ltd.

The Guardian

PhD Early Flemish painting (incomplete), MA History of Art, BA History of Art (Hons)

Neil MacGregor Scholarship