Fine Art/artist of this painting

I am helping a friend research this painting. We are unable to see any signature on it. It has been hanging in this saloon for a few decades at least. There is the possibilty it is from the late 1800s, but again we are not sure. I believe that it may depict the story of Danae. I was hoping that you might be able to tell me the artist.

Re; The painting.
Hello Debbie,and thank you for both the question and providing the photo.
Images, always are of great help.

You are  perfectly right, in the manner of style of execution, it is indeed from the later quarter of the 19th century.
This type of work, is commonly referred to as an “Odalisque” and belongs to the “Orientalist School,"
However is not in any way at all, closely related to the Greek mythological tale of Danae.

The great many Orientalist themes, were all a very popular topic in the 19th century and one of them, is known as the “Odalisque.“

However there are very many different themes of “Orientalist” art, such as types of works  which either depicted the deserts of Arabia, Harems, Bath houses, Oriental Gardens and Street scenes etc.

The silent film actor, Rudolph Valentino was an almost "typecast" kind of "Orientalist" movie star.

The fact that it has been hanging in a "saloon" is rather an appropriate place,to publicly exhibit such a painting. In fact it  belongs in the special category called Odalisque’s, as they all belong to the more seductive kinds of imagery.

It is an often overlooked fact - however one must remember, that in the period of history when this kind of painting was fashionable, and back then - in the average middleclass home and also upwards - even the legs on the dining room tables were all decently covered and were made to appear ruthlessly respectable.

In fact, the real female anatomy as such, mainly ceased to exist in any kind of public display; during the 19th century.

This painting  belongs to long forgotten world of utmost respectability, yet at times tottering on the verge of everything that was strict and Victorian and therefore likewise; morally outrageous and forbidden.

In essence your particular painting, is  done in  an “Odalisque” style  and  painted by an unknown artist.

Unfortunately, the quality of the provided image gives no indication, as to if it is indeed a genuine original oil, or a reproduction.

Therefore, my advice would be for you to take it along to a good auction house near to where you live - and get a “hands on” examination of the work; and also in order to achieve an authentication.
However, if it is really a genuine original oil painting, then the auction house can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc.
The average prices for those works all depends on; size, artist, quality, provenance, subject matter and condition- which are all highly important and also do vary a great deal.

I myself am of the opinion that as an an asset, and based on the supplied image and information, that it would need to be insured for about the 5-6.000.00 USD mark.

The yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location,
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.
Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck at the auction house.
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.