Fine Art/cecil aldin painting

Question
i have a painting signed by cecil aldin depicting 2 men playing chess. what is the name of this painting, and how can i find out if is an original or a print?

Answer
Hello Ken,
Cecil Charles Windsor Aldin (1870-1935) executed many works in chalk, pencil, ink, or watercolor on paper. Rarely in oil on canvas.  A visit to a local gallery with your work will allow a professional to quickly eyeball the work and tell you what you have.  A prolific British artist, I would hardly be surprised if you had an original.  His concentrations center around genre scenes from England: depictions of the hunt, animals in the hunt, portraits of animals, English village and street scenes.  

Most Aldin works are traded in the UK, and you may wish to contact Christie's, Sotheby's or Bonham's in London.  Heritage Auctions in Dallas would be a good contact for you locally.  Don't worry about attaching a picture name to the artwork.  In dealing with galleries or auction houses be prepared with information about the artwork: dimensions of the art itself, frame size, condition, closeup signature block photo, photos of full front and full backside of artwork, provenance (do you know where this artwork has been?), and anything else you can think that might be pertinent to a potential buyer.

Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright