Fine Art/Currier & Ives

Currier & Ives
Currier & Ives  
Hi, I live in Michigan. I bought these ceramic Currier & Ives pictures from an auction. I have a set of 4. There is an engraving on the back of each picture stating, "Chuck Merry Christmas, 1977 Nancy" I wasn't sure how they were personalized and who Nancy was. Do I have something special or is this just a reproduction someone made?

Hello Lisa,
Enjoy your pictures.  This is not at all a question for the Fine Art section, but perhaps for the "Collectables" experts.  Currier & Ives were enormously popular, daresay it, the most famous American lithographers of their time, just when reproduction techniques were taking off and Americans had a little more wealth and interest in procuring the drawing of their young country.  They were the "Xerox" of their day. That reproductions of Currier & Ives reproductions are mass marketed is hardly surprising.

I expect you paid precisely the right price, and that is precisely what they are worth!  Hang them, enjoy them and gaze upon them frequently!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration