Fine Art/huldah

Is this an original I found it at a thrift shop . I am located in dallas texas the frame is made in usa.

Please refer to previous answers I have posted regarding Huldah.  Start by typing "Huldah" in the FIND Box on this AllExperts page.

I am disappointed that you took time to award me the lowest rating, so let me try again and give you the very best answer I can give.  I do this as a volunteer on my own nickel and time. I don't normally follow this particular artist, but did take time to look her up and do a bit of research which I share with you (and others on the board).

Your artist is Huldah Cherry Jeffe(1901 - 2001).  Her complete biography follows. Many of her paintings emulate a Parisian impressionist style.  Public auction records indicate paintings of hers have sold for between $400 and $2,260.  I would estimate your painting, but cannot, as I would need to know much more about size, condition, subject matter, etc.  As it is I only see the signature which looks to be that of the artist.  

A dealer currently looking for Huldah paintings:
Gallery Moderne
7 Round House Road
Piermont, New York, 10968

Good luck with your painting.  Perhaps you can revisit your score of my answer in the same fashion as I have put more time into answering you.

An American fine artist born in Dallas, Texas, Huldah Cherry was an accomplished figure painter who studied at the Art Student's League and Grand Central School in New York City.  She also attended private classes taught by Robert Brackman.

Huldah began her career in the 1940s.  From 1934-1949 she was represented by the noted New York art dealer and collector, Howard Young.  In the 1950s, the Charles Lock Galleries of New York also exhibited her work.  In 1975 Wally Findlay Galleries in New York presented her first one-woman show. Four of her works were purchased by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.  Her paintings have been reproduced by the New York Graphics Society since 1946 and by Hallmark cards since 1953.

Huldah has had her paintings selected for the Grand Salon of the Salon des Artistes Francais in Paris.  She won Honorable Mention awards on the Salons of 1948 and 1967.

For her subject matter, she focused on turn-of-the-century women and adolescent girls.  Her young ladies are costumed in the fashionable attire of the period, and her style hints of impressionism with a strong Renoir influence.  Inspired by a period known as La Belle Epoque, Huldah's designs were incorporated into thirty-one collectible porcelain works of art which were created between 1959 and 1968 and distributed into the 1980s.

Huldah retired in Palm Beach Florida, and is the wife of General J. E. Jeffe.

She is listed in Who's Who in American Art, Who's Who of American Women and the World Who's Who of Women.

In addition to museums, her paintings are in the collections of the Cornell Medical Center, and in the Los Angeles Athletic Club.  And in 1998 the national Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington DC recognized Huldah and has included her work on their permanent collection.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration