Fine Art/Oil Painting

Question
I have an oil painting signed by one C. Nichols and am trying to find out more about the artist and painting itself. This painting shows a floral arranagement in a vase in pale colours, blues and whites. It is approximately 20" high by 18: wide. It is framed and so difficult to tell but not it's original frame.

Any ideas or places to start would be appreciated.

Regards.

Answer
Good morning Karen,
More than likely you have a very attractive still life by a more modern artist, but it is possible that you have an antique by Celeste Bruff Nichols (1860 - 1910), who may have been established in the Washington, DC area.  But this is a longshot, at best.  

There are many good galleries in the provice, and I am sure you might elicit a good opinion from any dealer of older works.  Try Ritchies or Waddingtons in Toronto, or Walkers in Ottawa.  Send them digital snapshots, including closeups of the signature.  Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright