Fine Art/Oil Painting

I have an oil painting signed by one C. Nichols and am trying to find out more about the artist and painting itself. This painting shows a floral arranagement in a vase in pale colours, blues and whites. It is approximately 20" high by 18: wide. It is framed and so difficult to tell but not it's original frame.

Any ideas or places to start would be appreciated.

Good morning Karen,
More than likely you have a very attractive still life by a more modern artist, but it is possible that you have an antique by Celeste Bruff Nichols (1860 - 1910), who may have been established in the Washington, DC area.  But this is a longshot, at best.  

There are many good galleries in the provice, and I am sure you might elicit a good opinion from any dealer of older works.  Try Ritchies or Waddingtons in Toronto, or Walkers in Ottawa.  Send them digital snapshots, including closeups of the signature.  Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration