Fine Art/General Information:

Hello I'm writing in regard to a painting my mother has hanging in her kitchen. It's a fairly large, oil on canvas painting. It has a signature of JohnSton in the upper left corner, although there is nothing on the back of the painting. I can't seem to find who the artist is, any feedback is helpful. Thank you for your time.

John Lewis Stone, Jr. is a living artist, born in 1937.  Originally schooled in Pennsylvania, he studied at the Pennsylvania Academy. Today he resides in Texas.  His painting do not bring much more than a few hundred dollars at auction.  His signature typically is in cursive and often carries a flourished underline.  If you think this is your artist, you may wish to contact The Potomack Company in Alexandria VA, who have most recently offered his works at public auction.  Hope this helps.  Looks like a nice piece!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration