Fine Art/Painting Set

I purchased a set of pictures from a garage sale and interested in the history and value of if any.
It has Catalda Fine Arts, Inc Title Peto Artist Frame No W290 Order No7148. Pictures of books New York Times Paper with a feather pen. Just wondering if anyone has any info. On this. Thank you!!

John Frederick Peto, 1854-1907, is one of America's great fine artists. He is widely known for his "trompe l'oiel"  (literally 'trick the eye') paintings of everyday objects.  His pictures routinely fetch prices well into five figures at public auction. You can find much information via Google search on this American Fine Artist.

However, Catalda Fine Arts was a commercial enterprise in the post WWII era, based in New York, that specialized in reproducing fine art to sell to the masses. My strong presumption is that you have such a copy. (If you are a legal scholar, you will be interested to note that Catalda has no small measure of fame in the law school texts for that firm's involvement in copyright litigation.)  

This is not to say your picture is worthless.  If it is in good shape, perhaps has a good frame and is ready to sell, I'd advise taking it to a nearby dealer or gallery owner and discussing.  It might well be worth a couple hundred dollars. But don't expect much.

Another alternative: Hang it somewhere you might see it every day.  And enjoy it!  Original Peto works hang in a lot of museums.  And now you know a little more about your picture!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration