Fine Art/Signature on Pastel painting

? Nichols ? Signature on sunset painting
? Nichols ? Signature  

Sunset painting
Sunset painting  
Hello, I have a painting (on masonite board?) which has a signature on the bottom right but I am not sure of the name?? It looks like "C W Nichols jr" but could be "C N" or "C M" and maybe Nichol ???. It's a very pretty painting of a Marsh or waterway with a sailboat and an orange sunset. There is some spotting. I bought this some years ago and the ornate frame was literally falling apart. I'm attaching some photos. It's approx 8" x 20".
Jim Macon

OK, Jim. Here's a longshot:

Charles Wesley Nicholson, 1886-1965, was a California artist who tackled many desert and coastal landscapes.  I don't think this looks particularly like any of his work, but you can easily "Google Images" (is that a verb?) his name and check for yourself.  Also, you might wish to check with edanhughes . com who wrote the book on early California artists.  Let me give a plug of sorts...that book is worth purchasing if you study western US artists.  

Hobart Nichols, Jr., 1869 - 1962, executed landscapes including pastels, but I don't think your work looks much like his.  Again, do a little research and judge for yourself.

I'd say your picture has the look of Florida Highwaymen art, or "Indian River School".  And it is quite possibly just a pretty picture done by an unlisted artist.  

Hope that gives you a little more to go on. If you enjoy that picture, I'd urge you to preserve it.  Have those mildew spots cleaned, and find a nice period frame for it.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration