Fine Art/Value of art

I have 2 Gladys Rockmore Davis oil paintings.
"Les Sylphides" and "Ballet Dancer from the Wings"
Can you tell me the value?

Gladys Rockmore Davis, (1901 - 1967), executed many portraits of dancers, children, nudes and still-life sketches.  She is a recognized fine artist, well-educated in fine arts and ultimately decorated by many juried exhibitions. Her pastels and oils tend to be large, and more than a few have passed through the nation's leading auction houses.  

Without knowing size, condition, composition, palette or importantly seeing the pictures, I cannot give you an estimate of their worth. I can tell you that her lesser pastels and still lifes have commanded a few hundred dollars at auction, while much larger, more finely executed pictures of figures, auctioned in New York, Boston or Dallas have commanded a range of $2,000 - $3500.  A record price of just over nine thousand dollars was paid at a Sotheby's auction in NYC way back in 1996 for a very large picture of two children relaxing on a couch, but I would caution that this is an anomaly.

I'd suggest you will find much information on this artist by way of internet search engines. Armed with a rudimentary knowledge, a few digital pictures of full front and reverse of each picture, and details such as size and condition of each, you might approach dealers who can help you pedal the artwork, if that is what you choose. (Feel free to send me a digital pictures...find my email address at cartwrightfineart on the internet.)

Or enjoy your pictures!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration