Fine Art/Alexander Chen

What does it mean when there are two numbers in the bottom left of the print?  It says 1593/2250.  I'm assuming it means there were 2250 made and this was number 1593.  It's a print by Alexander Chen and is signed by the artist on the bottom right.    Thanks for any help.

Hello Paula,

Though I am not familiar with this artist's work, I do believe that you are referencing the edition number.  You are absolutely correct, the total edition would have been 2250, and your particular work would be number 1593 out of 2250.  While some collectors prefer earlier or later numbers in the edition, the value of the work does not really vary based on the edition number.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University