Fine Art/Cohan Painting

Cohan painting
Cohan painting  

Cohan signature
Cohan signature  
bought this oil on canvas painting at an estate sale and was hoping to get a little more information on it. It is signed in the lower right hand corner with the name Cohan. I have looked up the name "Cohan" and there seems to be quite a few artist with that last name. I can not find any other works similar to this one to help me figure out which Cohan I have. It looks older than a contemporary piece so that helps narrow it down a little. This painting measures approve: 26" X 22" (not including frame). I have been told previously that the "Cohan" I have could be a Richard R. Cohan who painted movie illustrations in the 1920's and 1930's for the movie studios.Hopefully you can help shed some light on this subject for me, thank you in advance!

Matt, this piece looks to be from the 1950's-60's. I don't believe this piece is by Richard. I could only find 2 Cohan's in my database and I don't believe this is by either of them. Fair market value on this piece as decorative piece would be $100-$200.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University