I found this beautiful print in thrift store can't recall when/where but have kept it for years thinking it just might be worth something. The label on back "Catalda" (old/faded) with number "7477" AS/RE264. It's beautifully framed & it looks original an "oil color pencil" sketch I don't kow I'm NOT an artist. I've done some research re:Catalda and their "tainted" past so I don't know if it's a fake or real.

I live in Oahu/Hawaii so not sure what to do with it. Is there somewhere on island I can take it to a "gallery" or art museum??

Please let me know,

Hello Debi,

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is likely a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

The values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing.  They tend to range from $50 to a few hundred if the work is in excellent condition and nicely framed.

If you would like to take it to a gallery on Hawaii for more information, I found this link to a gallery guide below:

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University