Fine Art/Vanguard painting

Question
Vanguard painting
Vanguard painting  
Dolly,

Hi! I recently purchased a painting. I cannot make out who the artist is but the vanguard number on the back is 471252. It is a very large painting of a close up Iris- The colors are pink, purple, blue and green with a white background. It is in a beige frame.

Could you tell me who painted it and approximately how much it is worth?

I paid $8.00 for it. It is in very good condition, the painting itself is perfect.

Thank you,

Mary Hills

Answer
Dear Mary,

What you have is a painting by a staff member at Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios was founded by an artist named Lee Reynolds Burr and represents a business venture that was formed in the sixties to create affordable oil paintings for the masses.

Vanguard apprentice artists were usually trained at America's finest art schools but signed the work they produced as Lee Reynolds. You did not mention a name on the painting. Lee Reynolds Burr permitted the signature "Lee Reynolds" to be affixed to the best of the works conceived and executed at Vanguard Studios. At the same time, the signature was accompanied by a Vanguard Studios stamp on the back.

Value on this work is decorative and depends on the quality of technique and the desirability of the subject matter. To find other work similar to yours; do an Internet search using key words “Lee Reynolds painting” or “Vanguard Studios painting”. There are usually several at any time on eBay. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley