Fine Art/David Nichols painting ”harbor town”

artist signature
artist signature  
I found a David Nichols watercolor painting of the light house in harbor town on Hilton head island. It looks original VERY nicely framed and matted. It does have his signature in pencil and noway looks like a print. I looked this up online and someone said it could be worth a large amount of money and My question is if this is true and how much is it worth ? I have pictures and close UPS of the signature I can send in and looking with a led flash light the signature is not a print and this painting is real

Dear Steve,

I believe you have a reproduction print of a watercolor. Artists do not sign original work twice, as seen in the photo you posted. It appears the artist hand signed next to the signature in the print; probably for a collector at a gallery show or as a signed open edition print. I checked auctions and could not locate an artist to match this work that has had anything at auction. If you have a high magnification loupe or glass, you will probably see some circles or squares from the offset printing. If not, take it to a local dealer/gallery and have them look at it for you. It is a small piece and even if a real watercolor, the value is probably less than $100-200.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.