Fine Art/Kurt Kranz

Question
Kurt Kranz painting
Kurt Kranz painting  
I was left a painting by Kurt Kranz. I took it to a local reputable antiques dealer and he felt it was an original. I went to a web site ( Swann galleries) that he gave me but they were not able to helpme find out more about the value. I was able to find very little on Kurt Kranz other than  he was German and lived from 1910-1997. I was wondering how to find the value of this painting and possibly a buyer. Attached is a picture of the painting. Thanks you for your help in this matter

Answer
Thank Melanie, for  the very interesting question and posting the clear  image.

Based on the supplied information and image, the object would indeed appear to be by the German artist and Kurt Kranz - (1910- 1997)

This artist however, is far better known for his overall production, rather than for any specific works.

Formerly a teacher at the renowned German  “Bauhaus “ school in Dessau during the 1930’s, he is still one of the all round, “leading lights” of the modernist school.

As a matter of interest,there has just been an exhibition of both him, and of the “Bauhaus Movement”  in Berlin; Germany in 2011.
On February 2nd in 2012, up in Chicago at the Goethe Institute, an exhibition will take place showing works by the “Bauhaus” artists -  including a movie film;  made by Kurt Kranz back in 1927.

His register is incredibly wide indeed, ranging from drawings, films and photography, prints, oils, watercolours, graphics, advertisements and varied mixed media techniques.

Working on the assumption that it is a original and genuine work, done by Kranz and not merely a reproduction, then it does have some rather substantial monetary value.
Obviously the value of such a print, is far less valuable than a  painting by the same author.
The average valuations for his oil paintings, is however probably somewhere in the range of $6.00- 15.000. Unfortunately, prints are of less value.

Rather sadly, the Internet can only help you part of the way.

In order to achieve clarity and expedite matters more quickly, I would suggest the most logical step would be to get in touch with auction houses, near to where you are located.

Unfortunately; you give no indication as to your location in FL.
However - the yellow pages will point you in the right direction.

It is very important that you either contact one, or preferably more - of the “better auction” houses in this matter as good second opinions are always an asset ( For example; Bohams, Sotheby’s, Christies.)
Smaller, local auction houses, will be far less satisfactory in this matter

The “top end” auction houses do indeed, have all the necessary expertise to help with the following;
a) give you the all important "hands on" examination of the work.
b) assist with establishing the necessary authorship, provenance, condition, quality, including any forensics and valuations.

Such matters, are never straight forward and do cost a great deal of both time and effort; for all those involved.
Very good luck with the next stage. At least you now have a secure route all mapped out,in order to help you even more.

PS; So, here we actually have a bit of history in the making.  
What with the old black and white - silent movie film called “City Lights” from 1931, and also the  Kurt Krantz movie film from 1927, right up to  to the present day -  black and white, silent movie film of 2012, called the “Artist.”

Well who knows???  

Perhaps, you  might also have an original “Racoon” coat  tucked away, in a walk in closet??
Then you may very well,just fit the bill up in Chicago - on February 2nd, or perhaps a bit later at the "Oscars" in Hollywood!!!!!  

Either way, I am quite sure that you would look fantastic going onto a cruise ship out of Fort Lauderdale, and wearing a “racoon” coat!!!   

Perhaps even more importantly, I’m also very sure that Kurt Krantz himself; would also agree.

I wish you all the best; and very good luck with the painting!!!
Take care.
David.

D. E. Lombardo