Fine Art/L.E. Davis

I have the opportunity to buy 3 paintings by L. E. Davis.   What can you tell me about this artist and what is the general value of works by this artist?  Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

If this is Lew E Davis, native of Arizona (1910-1979) I can tell you his works are very different from various points of his life.  An abstract, colorful geometric 16 x 20 was offered at Christies a few years ago and blew away the estimates of a few hundred dollars hammering at close to $3,500. Other works, including landscape scenes of his native west have fetched only a few hundred dollars.  Hope that helps.  

Keep in mind if you love it, and think you will appreciate the art for a good long while, go for it.  Hang art that speaks to you in a highly visible place where you might gaze upon it every day.  But always set limits for yourself at auction! I wish I were better at that!  Good luck.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration