Fine Art/Picture by E. L. Henry

A Virginia Wedding
A Virginia Wedding  
Thank you for looking at my picture.I have found that it is done by E.L. Henry.He did several pictures like this but I am not sure which one this is. I thought it might be A Virginia Wedding. It is hand signed in the lower left corner "copyright C. Klackner". There could be another signature under the matting but I don't want to open the back of the picture. The measurements are approximately 21" x 13". My question is what is it? Is it a print, a painting or how would it be described and do you know the value?

Thank you Margaret, for the very interesting question and for posting the  image.

Based on the supplied information and image, the object would indeed appear to be by the 19th century American artist Edward Lamson Henry - (1841- 1919)

This artist however, is far better known for his overall  “Victorian” genre production, rather than for any specific work.
He made a special point of studying, the more affluent people of the time. This would include  all the normal accessories, such as clothing, carriages, the interiors of the houses and accompanying  furnishings etc.

If indeed the title should be “The Virginia Wedding,”  I  myself an am not entirely sure.

The image quality is not optimal by any means, therefore I prefer to reserve judgement of the title.

There  however two distinct possibilities however,it is either;

1. An arrival at a large Patrician Villa,in a Southern State.

2. A departure from a large Patrician Villa,in a Southern State.

I see no particular reference to it being a wedding,in the provided image.

It is however, a significant historical document concerning the rather painful, rebuilding of the American society after the abolition of slavery.
There are some very obvious overtones of “ Uncle Tom’s Cabin” present in the work.

It is most probably commissioned and then executed during the 1880’s, by Henry.  
The artist himself, sometimes hand - colored the prints himself; later on.
G.J. Klackner, often printed and published the works done by Henry.

Working on the assumption that it is a original and genuine work,done by Henry and not merely a later reproduction, then it does have some rather substantial monetary value.
Obviously the value of such a print, is far less valuable than a painting by the same author.
The average valuations for his  original paintings, is however probably somewhere in the range of $18.00- 20.000.
Unfortunately, chromolithography prints are of less value and of even less; are the  pure reproductions.

Rather sadly, the Internet can only help you part of the way.

In order to achieve clarity and expedite matters more quickly, I would suggest the most logical step would be to get in touch with auction houses, near to where you are located.

Unfortunately; you give no indication as to your location in Michigan.
However - the yellow pages will point you in the right direction.

It is very important that you either contact one, or preferably more - of the “better auction” houses in this matter as good second opinions are always an asset ( For example; Bohams, Sotheby’s, Christies.)
The  more smaller and local auction houses, will be far less satisfactory in this matter

The “top end” auction houses do indeed, have all the necessary expertise to help with the following;
a) give you the all important "hands on" examination of the work.
b) assist with establishing the necessary authorship, provenance, condition, quality, including any forensics and valuations.

Such matters, are never straight forward and do cost a great deal of both time and effort; for all those involved.
Very good luck with the next stage.  

I wish you all the best; and very good luck indeed with the work!!!
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.