Fine Art/Possible William Newton Bartholomew

Hello there Stuart
Well, I'm down to one remaining Hudson River School style painting, the most attractive of the lot in my opinion, but so badly damaged that I suppose its value is minimal, at best. I'm writing this time with the hope that you might be able to provide your professional opinion as to whether or not you think I can safely attribute a painting I purchased last week to William Newton Bartholomew. It is, unfortunately, unsigned, but also sold at this auction were two of Bartholomew's works which were signed, and in a quick Internet search, I am rather inclined to believe that the one I purcahsed is also one of his. A picture is attached.
With hopes that all is well with you, I send my best regards and my sincere appreciation for your assistance.

I will include William N. Bartholomew's bio below, although I am sure you have it from Edan Hugh's fine work "Artists in California" available on the internet.

Thomaston Place Auction Galleries, Julia's, Eldreds, Skinners...all New England auction houses that have successfully sold WNB works, often unsigned watercolors much like yours.  You are correct, they have not realized very much, hammering for about $100-$1000.  I would put your work, unsigned in the mid to bottom half of this range.  I would not spend much to have it fixed. I concur that this looks very probably to be this artist's work, and perhaps has a western look about it?  Could it be from the 1851 expedition to California?  "Attributed to William Newton Bartholomew" might be valid - it is very similar to his other watercolors.  Best of luck.

A painter, sketch artist, William Newton Bartholomew was born in Boston, MA on Feb. 13, 1822.
Bartholomew was a self-taught artist who accompanied a daguerreotyping expedition to California during 1850-51.  He made hundreds of daguerreotypes of California and its mining towns, and after returning to Boston, painted a huge panorama made from them, which he exhibited in Boston and other eastern cities.

He taught drawing in the public schools of Boston from 1852-71 and wrote drawing books.
He died in Newton Center, MA in 1898.

Exh: Boston Atheneum, 1861; Boston Art Club, 1889-98; PAFA, 1891, 1892. In: NY Historical Society. Sam; Ben; G&W; CP.
Source: Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration