Fine Art/Small Chinese bowl

Question
QUESTION: I purchased this small bowl from an antique dealer (specializing in Chinese Items) about 10 years ago.

I am curious a) whether it actually is an antique and b) any other information you might be able to supply regarding it and potential value.

It is stone with metal roping and details of a phoenix (phoenix on 2 sides only-roping on 4 sides)
with a metal base.

I do not know if the metal is silver or pewter or a base metal. There is good detail, however.

There are markings (Chinese characters) on the base.

It measures about 4 1/2" across the opening and is about 2" High from the metal lip of the opening to the bottom of the metal base-which itself is about 2" wide.

As there is only an allotment of one image, I wonder if it is possible to send a number of them to another address or with separate messages-question forms?

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello Warren.
Yes, please do send images of the sides,bottom, inside and the and top view.
Unfortunately because of the technical constraints of this site, all immages need to be posted individualy - sorry.
I look forward, to seeing some good clear images of the artifact in question.
Take care.
David.

sm.chinesebowl
sm.chinesebowl  
QUESTION: 1  of 12

Answer
Hello Warren,

Thank you for posting all of the images, which do help me a great deal.

Unfortunately; during the past few years a China has exported a great number of less desirable artefacts to the west.

Some are rather cleverly made, while others are somewhat cruder and more blatant reproductions.

In this case - and only having the use of some 2D images to base an opinion upon, however, I am rather afraid that my alarm bells are all ringing.

It looks to be a mixture of an outright fake, with that of the pure innocence of a reproduction.

I am very unhappy however, about certain aspects of the object.

Not to say the least of the  type of Chinese being used, with regard to the more general 19th century stamped six characters - of  the zhuanshu seal; used on the base and the base itself.

Other matters are the glaze and the decoration with a metallic strap  - work of either iron, or perhaps bronze.

I believe that the birds you describe as being the phoenix, are in fact cockerels, or more well known as ( gong –ji).
In which case ,they would  represent the 10th month of the zodiac.

On the one hand, it might be out of a ancient grave offering, but I think that it of a far more recent  date.
Therefore my best advice would be to get a very  “up close” vetting done.

An examination by a good auction house near to where you live - in order tond get a “hands on” vetting of the work; and also in order to achieve an authentication.  
Places, such as Sotheby’s, Christies and Bonham’s all have good ”in house expertise” in such matters.
However, if it is really a genuine original  rather than a  reproduction then the auction house can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc.

The average prices for those works all depends on; size, artist, quality, provenance, subject matter and condition- which are all highly important and also do vary a great deal.
The Chinese market, is still  very buoyant for the right kind of artefacts at the moment.

The yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location.
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck indeed at the auction house. I quite am sure that they will be able to help you over the last furlong, so to speak!

Take care.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo