Fine Art/VAN GOGH

Question
I HAVE A PAINTING THAT HAS THIS ON THE BACK..CATALDA FINE ARTS INC. NEW YORK, N.Y.
IT HAS THE COMPANY OF FRAMER I SUPPOSE (ABOVE).
TITLE "THATCHED COTTAGE"  
ARTIST: VAN GOGH
FRAME # MA173
ORDER # 8084

BELIEVED TO BE 1890 BUT NOT SURE..I GOT THAT FROM READING WHEN HE LIVED IN THE COUNTRY ..
I HAVE NOT REMOVED THE BACK TO LOOK FOR A SIGNATURE. IT IS MATTED AND IN ORIGINAL FRAME BY THE ABOVE COMPANY. MY QUESTION IS,,,CAN IT POSSIBLY BE REAL??
IT IS IN EXCELLEMNT CONDITION CONSIDERING AGE.
I AWAIT YOUR REPLY.
THANKS

P S MAY HAVE SPELLED COMPANY WRONG

Answer
Patricia,
Catalda Fine Arts, New York City, was a well known reproducer of paintings by the great masters.  At a time, after WW2 when America was becoming a consumer society and putting paintings on the new living room walls conferred a bit of classiness, Catalda pictures sold well.  I'd suggest if you are looking to sell, you try eBay.  

Interesting to legal scholars, Catalda was found in the middle of a famous court case concerning the limits of copyright.  The company has long since been sold.  

Best of luck with your artwork.  If you enjoy it, no reason not to hang it in a spot where you might gaze upon it every day.  

Stuart Cartwright