Fine Art/van gough

Question
VAN GOGH
Question:  I HAVE A PAINTING THAT HAS THIS ON THE BACK..CATALDA FINE ARTS INC. NEW YORK, N.Y.
IT HAS THE COMPANY OF FRAMER I SUPPOSE (ABOVE).
TITLE "THATCHED COTTAGE"  
ARTIST: VAN GOGH
FRAME # MA173
ORDER # 8084
BELIEVED TO BE 1890 BUT NOT SURE..I GOT THAT FROM READING WHEN HE LIVED IN THE COUNTRY ..
I HAVE NOT REMOVED THE BACK TO LOOK FOR A SIGNATURE. IT IS MATTED AND IN ORIGINAL FRAME BY THE ABOVE COMPANY. MY QUESTION IS,,,CAN IT POSSIBLY BE REAL??
IT IS IN EXCELLEMNT CONDITION CONSIDERING AGE.
I AWAIT YOUR REPLY.
THANKS

Second Question..
I saw a lot of people have the same thing but NOT original artist. Mine does have Van Gough as the artist. Does it mean it was framed by the Company for Van Gough? Is this woorth anything?

Answer
Hello Patricia,

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that this work is a unique original painting by Van Gogh.  Catalda Fine Arts was a gallery in NYC that dealt mostly in reproductive artwork with no real collectable value.  It is most likely that your work is a reproduction.  In 1983, Catalda Fine Arts was purchased by The Colonial Art Gallery & Co.  I would recommend contacting them to see if they might have a record of this work, but their contact information available online does not appear to be valid.  Despite this information, it can never hurt to have an appraiser take a look.  I can recommend looking up a local gallery and seeing if they might be able to assist you or perhaps contacting Bonhams at http://www.bonhams.com/usa/home/ to see if they may know something more.

I hope that you find this information useful.  Best of luck to you!

Warm Regards,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans