Fine Art/Alexander Calder

Alexander calder
Alexander calder  
QUESTION: I picked this up when a local Houston gallery was going out of business and the contents of gallery were brought back to the moving company along with a trailer of other pieces of art and art lighting I was working for as an operational manager about 5 years ago.

I would like more information on this piece and how I can verify the authenticity and value.

Thank you very much for all your help.

ANSWER: Hello Mike,

Unfortunately, there is currently no catalogue raisonne that exists for Alexander Calder's works, so the only sure way to know of authenticity is to run the work by the Calder Foundation  

However, I was able to locate an auction record for this work from 2010.  The information states that this print is Untitled, c. 1970, 29 1/8 in x 23 7/8 in, hand signed and numbered from the edition of 125.  If your work meets all of these qualifications, I would take that as a positive sign. This work sold for approximately $2,000 in 2010 and is likely worth around this much now (though potentially a bit less, as I know that the Calder print market has been slightly depressed in this economy...)

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Warm Regards,

Andrew Evans

QUESTION: I have found that the piece was made in 1968 and is named Os et Noeud.

It also has E.A. in the left hand corner and his signature in the right.

I appreciate your advice and I have contacted the calder foundation.

Hello Mike,

That is wonderful that you located the title and date for your work.  I just wanted to correct my prior statement regarding the edition, as it appears from examples that I found at other galleries, that the edition might actually be from 90 (though I am sure that the Calder Foundation can best confirm this information). Regarding the E.A., that just means that you have an artist's proof of the print which should be of the same quality and value as one from the numbered edition.

Best of luck to you,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University