Fine Art/Chinese Porcelain

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I have a large bowl which I believe is Chinese porcelain. It is marked on the bottom. It measures approx. 10" diameter by 6" tall. I have posted large detailed photos of the bowl here: http://www.pineridge-antiques.com/chineseporcelain/index.html

Can you tell me if it is indeed Chinese, the approx. age, what it is called (bowl, urn, planter?), and anything else that might help me to determine a value? Thanks in advance!

ANSWER: In order to help you more fully, I shall require a good clear image of the bottom, including the markings.
Take care.
David.

QUESTION: Thank you David. I have included several close ups of the bottom here: http://www.pineridge-antiques.com/chineseporcelain/index.html

I could not see a way to include photos here, so I posted them on a separate webpage. Thanks again!

Answer
Hello Karen,

Thank you for posting all of the images, which do help me a great deal.
Oriental artifacts, like the people themselves - are a very complicated field for Westerners. They sometimes comply to Western thoughts, but just as often, they also tend clash with those of the West.

Unfortunately; during the past few years, China has exported a great number of less desirable artifacts to the west.

Some are rather cleverly made, while others are somewhat cruder and more blatant reproductions.

In this case - and only having the use of some 2D images to base an opinion upon, however, I am rather convinced that  this is a  Cantonese 19th century Chinese export ware artifact.
This type of ware, is not to the Chinese taste and is meant purely for export to outside China itself.

The type of Chinese calligraphy being used, are the more general 19th century brushed marks; executed in an under glaze. The letters are made up of four characters, using cobalt blue - but without any concentric circles.

The Chinese characters themselves read; JIAQUING 1796 -1820, or quite  Literally >The Jiaqing reign, of the Great Qing dynasty<
Caveat - NOT, actually made during the reign of, this is a very dangerous and common mistake made by the many, who take such things of face value and have a lack of learning!!!

This >Caveat< -  however points to  the artifact as NOT dating to  the 1796 -1820 period. This use of fictive markings, is often quite normal and is meant, as a sign of respect for the Chinese ancestors /dynasty.

Indeed, my dear aunt often gives out her date of birth; as something other than which is stated in her passport. She often tends to make slight exaggerations, which all refer to her late 20s. This is in fact the 1920s - so I leave you to fill in the rest.

Anyway, what the artifact actually is, lies in a great number of directions which now; all need to be brought together.
We are now embarking on something  almost impossible, quick sand - much like many Chinese  thoughts, attitudes and philosophy!
Ji=Oneself/personal/lucky/good fortune
Jia= Family name/value/price
Quing, or Qing= Celebrate/blessing/ Blue/ Green/Black colours of the much older Wanli period

The iconography(colours and decoration) on the artifact, expresses many different wishes, dreams and hopes;
Bamboo /Zhu = combined with the plum blossoms, chrysanthemums and orchids - all are meant to remind the onlooker, that artist must also become like the bamboo itself - before being able to paint it.

In other words, understand it - before practicing it yourself.

Joining all of the dots;
If you combine all of the above names/expressions all together you will most probably end up with an artist򳠢rush pot, used for painting and calligraphy.
It looks like, but is not a ginger pot.
Furthermore, it was made  quite late in Southern China in the 19th century, probably around the late 1870 mark.

Therefore my best advice would be to get a very >up close< vetting done.

An examination by a good auction house near to where you live - in order to get a >hands on< vetting of the work; and also in order to achieve an authentication.  

The average prices for those works all depends on; size, artist, quality, provenance, subject matter and condition- which are all highly important and also do vary a great deal.
The Chinese market, is still very buoyant for the right kind of artifacts at the moment.

The yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location.
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck indeed at the auction house. I quite am sure that they will be able to help you over the last furlong, so to speak!

Take care.
David.

D. E. Lombardo