Fine Art/h.hallett print "jersey"

Question
Strange thing.This morning a very old print fell off our wall.
I was wondering if it might have any valve.
H.Hallett of Portland Maine. print title "Jersey"
by Edwin Douglas.
Thank you   Joe

Answer
Dear Joe,

H.Hallett was one of the largest and most accomplished late 19th century publishers of chromolithography in the state of Maine. Their work is considered exceptional. There is value in a print by them, especially if it is a desirable image such as the print after Edwin Douglas'painting "Jersey". As with all works on paper, the value can vary greatly based on the condition of the print. Water stains, foxing, tears, fading, toning, and especially being glued to a backer board can be the difference between "rags and riches" on value. I have a client that has a very rare original Toulouse Lautrec lithograph that at some time was glued to cardboard. It's value went from $150,000 to $15,000.
I would take it to an art or antique dealer who know what they are doing to have it checked for condition issues. It should also be removed from its framing if vintage as old materials can affect the acid level in paper and cause damage. To answer your question; yes it is of value. How much value? It will need to be looked at by an expert. In excellent condition it could fetch several hundred dollars by the right collector. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley