Fine Art/identification of artist and subject information

detail of signature
detail of signature  

I have a large oil on canvas painting (32" x 36") in a moderately ornate gilt frame.  I call her "The Flower Seed Lady".  She needs a better name.  I can not identify the artist or anything about it, even though it is signed.  Medium resolution JPG photos are attached.  Others can be supplied.

The signature is;  "J. Sharp. '46"

It looks like I can only send one JPG image at a time, I am sending the signature.  I have an overall image that should be quite helpful, just tell me how to send it.

Bob Culver
Silver Spring,  MD

You are in luck.  John Sharp is a listed fine artist.  Mid-Twentieth Century. Alderfer Auctions in Hatfield, PA brought a 12"x24" still life of vegetables (vibrant color) to sale.  It hammered at $300, lot 3046 in their June 2009 sale.  That is about all I can find on Sharp, but should be enough to get you going!  I hope you like this big work you own.  Don't worry about the name.  Not really vital, unless it is a portrait of someone important.  Enjoy it!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration