Fine Art/identification of artist and subject information

Question
detail of signature
detail of signature  
Sir,

I have a large oil on canvas painting (32" x 36") in a moderately ornate gilt frame.  I call her "The Flower Seed Lady".  She needs a better name.  I can not identify the artist or anything about it, even though it is signed.  Medium resolution JPG photos are attached.  Others can be supplied.

The signature is;  "J. Sharp. '46"

It looks like I can only send one JPG image at a time, I am sending the signature.  I have an overall image that should be quite helpful, just tell me how to send it.

Thanks.

Bob Culver
Silver Spring,  MD

Answer
Bob,
You are in luck.  John Sharp is a listed fine artist.  Mid-Twentieth Century. Alderfer Auctions in Hatfield, PA brought a 12"x24" still life of vegetables (vibrant color) to sale.  It hammered at $300, lot 3046 in their June 2009 sale.  That is about all I can find on Sharp, but should be enough to get you going!  I hope you like this big work you own.  Don't worry about the name.  Not really vital, unless it is a portrait of someone important.  Enjoy it!  

Stuart Cartwright