Fine Art/J.Knowles Hare sketch

Question

I have an old sketch of what looks like the "Gerber Baby" but has "Buster" on the bottom left corner.  Its a black & white sketch of a baby sitting on it's left side, both hands leaning forward, and a medium size ball in front of him/her?  There is a "C" enclosed in a circle in the bottom right corner and signed by J. Knowles Hare under the ball and the "C".  I have tried to find information on this but can't seem to find anything??  Thank you for any information on this.

Fred

Answer
J. Knowles Hare (1884-1947)was born in Montclair NJ.  He was a commercial illustrator in the NYC area, did a number of cover girl pictures for periodicals such as the "Saturday Evening Post" and "The Country Gentleman".   He executed drypoint etchings as well. His signature is one of short, blocky capital letters.  My guess is the "c" to which you refer is a copyright, and likely means you have a print, not an original.    If I were you, I might contact the Gerber marketing department.  It is possible the copyright was with them, or another corporate entity marketing baby products.  As to value, even an original sketch might bring only $200 or so at public auction.  Hope that baby is cute.

Stuart Cartwright