Fine Art/Miro Etching

Miro etching
Miro etching  
QUESTION: I purchased a signed Miro etching and am trying to see what the history might be about it and if the signature looks authentic. The back of the etching has a rather authentic looking label with wax stamp from the Joan Miro Fundacion. The label list the author, name, size and year of the etching. What I purchased is attached.

ANSWER: Hello Patti,

Unfortunately, this does not look like any original Miro etching that I have encountered.  Miro's original etchings are usually hand signed on the right and hand numbered (or annotated as an artist's proof) on the left.  If I had to guess, I would say that this looks to be some sort of reproductive work.  

However, if you have the date of the piece, I can do a bit more research and see if I might be able to find out further information.  

Warm Regards,

Andrew Evans

Miro Back
Miro Back  
QUESTION: Here is the back of the Miro "etching". I hope it helps you determine if it is real. Thanks, Patti

Hello Patti,

I have looked through the Miro Etching catalogue raisonne under the year 1943 as it states on this label, but I cannot locate this work.  As it is not in the catalogue raisonne, I still believe it to be a reproduction.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Warm Regards,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University