Fine Art/C.W. Schumann Painting?

C.W. Schumann?
C.W. Schumann?  
I bought this painting at a garage sale in Florida and was told it was from upstate New York. It's old and crackled and cool and I don't care if it's a treasure, I like it. But it intrigues me because of the signature. It's signed C.W. Schumann. Like the composer, if I'm not mistaken, they both lived in upstate New York for a time.
I'm not able to determine if it was she who painted it as all web searches result in her career/life. Nothing I found mentioned if she had a hobby painting.
It would be great if it was hers but still a very nice painting.
I hope you take a look at the picture and can tell me anything about it. Thanks.

I have no information on whether the composer was a painter.  

I did do a quick search of the name Schumann, and turned up a Paul Schumann, who painted marine pictures and seascapes.  He, too, emigrated from Germany, and ended up as a somewhat prolific painter along the coast at Galveston.  You might run your picture (with closeup of signature) by a few of the auction houses or galleries in Houston or Dallas.  I suppose it is possible this was done by a relative of his in Germany?  It looks more European (Mediterranean coastline?) than the works done by Paul Schumann.  

At any rate, you have a nice big picture of a rocky coastline to hang in a spot where you might enjoy it every day.  Pretty good garage sale find, I'd say.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration