Fine Art/Julien Dupre/The Balloon

Question
I have a nice serigraph?.It has "proof" on bottom right border and "copy" on bottom left border.It looks new?,the paper it is on,while I look at it through my loop has fibers in it.Quality pc.What do I have?A value on it if you could.Thank you in advance.

Matthew

Answer
Dear Matthew,

Julien Dupre was born in 1842 in Paris. He is best known for his realistic view of 19th century life. He painted the well known image “The Balloon” in 1886. The original painting is in the Met in NYC. In the late 19th century they printed a copy (photogravure) of the painting that was released as an affordable art print. You can imagine the amazement of the workers in the field having seen a hot air balloon for the first time. Since your print appears new, it is likely a modern reprint of the photogravure image made in the 1800's and therefore considered decorative art.
Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley