Fine Art/original oil paintings

Both my parents have now passed away, and they have left me 7 original oil paintings ( I believe they were ALL bought from Merrill Chase in Oak brook, between the late 1960s and mid 70s). I have no personal connection to any of them and would like some information on how to sell them - auction them - or what ever would be the proper method of making someone else happy with them. I can have one of my sons take pictures of them if that would help, or should I take them somewhere? Thanks for your time, regards Steve

Hi Steve,

Many of the paintings sold by Merrill Chase in Chicago were local or regional artists and information on them is often very difficult to research. There is a company in Chicago that says they can provide updated values on work sold by Chase, but they are asking for $200 each to do it and that does not guarantee the work is worth the price they charge. I have worked with them in the past and I was not impressed with their work. So, with that said, you might want to contact a good auction house and have them give you auction estimates on the work and possibly carry them in their next auction. Let me know where you are located and I'll try to find a good resource for you. If you have the names of the artists, send them to me and I'll do a quick look to see if their information is readily available. Email to Please put your original question in the body of the email and Allexperts in the subject line.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.