Fine Art/Unknown painter

Dear Mrs. Headley:

I have this fantastic oil painting on board, 70 x 55 cm app.. At the back, in center, appears the seal of James Newman. I enclose an image so by looking it you can probably identify the period. The problem is that the picture is not signed (at simple sight). I would be very happy if you could have a clue.

Thank you very much.

Dear Alfredo,
It is a stunning landscape. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that it appears to be mid to late 19th century. It reminds me of the work by American Albert Bierstadt. There is (was?) an art dealer in San Francisco, California by the name of James Newman. He was known to carry very fine art. I cannot read the entire information on the stamp. Can you read it all? Email additional photos to and the rest of the information on the stamp and I'll do more research. Take close photos of the lower margin corners and I'll look for a signature. It may be underneath the frame; which in itself is outstanding. I feel you have a painting of considerable value. Where did you acquire it? Please put your original info in the email and allexperts in the subject of the email.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.