Fine Art/Art

Recently I purchased an oil on board from an Auction site, paid $280 for it. The signature on the lower right is T. Roberts, a still life (flowers). The back of the frame has a sticker that reads: Catalda, a division of Etcetera Wall Decor, Inc. I have a photo I can send you if need. I wanted to ask your opinion of this painting, if you think it could be a fake or reproduction or real? I have not been able to find out much about this company. I appreciate your time and consideration. I hope I wasn't fooled.

Kind regards,

Hello Stef,

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the T. Roberts work that you have by Catalda is likely a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

However, all of this does not necessarily mean that you were fooled, as the values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing.  Even for a reproduction, if it is a nice, well-framed work, a few hundred dollars might be a reasonable price.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University