Fine Art/Degas - SMB Oil on Board Painting

Degas Painting
Degas Painting  
Dear Expert,
I purchased this oil on board painting at a Estate Sale. It seems
to be a reproduction of a Edgar Degas famous painting. The back of
the board reads: Fulton Canvas Board. It is quite lovely and in
very good condition. Signed: Degas / SMB (lower right). I would
love to have your opinion or any comments you may wish to share.
The estate was in Hilton Head, SC for a very wealthy Boeing family
member. I wish I knew more about it's history or age. Thank you in
Kind Regards, Chris

Dear Chris,
It is likely as you said; a reproduction of a Dega painting by an artist with the initials SMB. He/she was attributing the image to Degas. I am not familiar with a known artist by the initials. Perhaps it was painted by a family member or friend. Wealthy estate sales/auctions that have valuable art collections will separate the investment from the decorative art and send the high end work to a major auction house and not include it in the general estate sale. It is a beautiful painting. I hope you are enjoying it in your home.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.