Fine Art/Oil Painting

Hello,  I have an oil painting on canvas, that I acquired at a resale shop. It is of a Chinese sail boat with one sail, and has three little living quarters that look like shacks, on the shoreline in the background. There are birds flying in the air and it looks like fog has rolled in over the water. The skyline is painted in a mute yellow. It is signed with what looks like the name, Sheila, in the lower right hand corner.  The frame is an old t bar style. Picture is 36"W x 24"Ht in the frame.  On the back of the wooden picture frame is a stamp that says Sheila Landers, and what looks like 3118 NE Gessner, Houston TX,77036, 981-3412.  I think this may be the artist stamp, since it seems to be signed Sheila on the painting. I have been told that it looks like it might be modern, or that it might have come from the far east as well. Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated it.  I can email photo's if you like.

Thank You!

Ann, I believe what you might have is what the trade likes to call a "starving artists painting". If you like it hang it. If it is for investment, sell it, get what you can for it, and be patient, study what makes a piece of artwork exceptional, and then try to get something that you like for a good value. Be patient though. Wait for something good to come along.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University