Fine Art/Oil painting by Haller

I recently purchased a painting from a thrift store. When I looked closely I realized that it has an identification number on the back. It is a forest scene 24 x 36" frame. It is heavy. It is stamped, on the back, "Original oil painting, 54979MZ027 unlawful to copy." I bought it for the canvas, to paint over it. I don't wish to do that if it is valuable. I have checked the internet and found paintings of a Peter Haller of Austria. It is a similar style of painting. I just don't want to assume anything or destroy anything valuable. Perhaps you have a way to check. My search turned up nothing.

Dear Sandy,
I would not be able to give an authenticity opinion of your painting without seeing it in person. I'm not sure what I can do to help you out. It is unusual to have an original painting by an artist of standing with the information your painting has on the back. My suggestion is to take it to a local art dealer or museum and have them take a look at it for you before you decide to paint over it.
Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.