Fine Art/Oil painting by Haller

Question
I recently purchased a painting from a thrift store. When I looked closely I realized that it has an identification number on the back. It is a forest scene 24 x 36" frame. It is heavy. It is stamped, on the back, "Original oil painting, 54979MZ027 unlawful to copy." I bought it for the canvas, to paint over it. I don't wish to do that if it is valuable. I have checked the internet and found paintings of a Peter Haller of Austria. It is a similar style of painting. I just don't want to assume anything or destroy anything valuable. Perhaps you have a way to check. My search turned up nothing.

Answer
Dear Sandy,
I would not be able to give an authenticity opinion of your painting without seeing it in person. I'm not sure what I can do to help you out. It is unusual to have an original painting by an artist of standing with the information your painting has on the back. My suggestion is to take it to a local art dealer or museum and have them take a look at it for you before you decide to paint over it.
Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley