Fine Art/oleograph?

cow litho
cow litho  
Hello - I have what I believe to be a very old either litho or oleograph.  It depicts a herd of 11 cattle who appear to be watering down, grazing by a stream. It is approx. 43.25 inches wide x 29.25 inches high set in a very ornate gold wooden frame. It is signed by the artist but I cannot for the life of me make out the signature - the closest I can come is "A Prailh". It also says Munchen on the bottom.  Any information to the artist, date of the piece or title of it would be very informative.  I have no idea if it has a value of $100 or $1000! Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Hello Andrea;

Thank you, for both the image and your question.

The name which you have given me, is not be found in any orthodox records.
It may refer to the artist, or it may equally refer to the publisher of the picture in question.
These types of  landscape imagery, were extremely popular during the later quarter of the 19th century. Today they are less popular  than in former times, and are collected mainly by specialists in this genre.
It is 99% likely, to be a Swiss - German image, therfore it is most definately - European in origin.

As to your particular artefact, in all probability is more likely to be a litho-print rather than  an oleograph, however the image is hard to define. Moreover, there are also a number of hand colored engravings of this sort of works,which are far more valuable that the more affordable posters/ litho-prints and oeleographs. which are all still available today.

Furthermore, if it really is a genuine original colored engraving, rather than a colour litho print, then a real time inspection by an auction house, can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc.
The average prices for those works all depends on; size, artist, quality, provenance, subject matter and condition- which are all highly important -  and also do also vary a great deal.

The local yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location,
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck indeed at the auction house. I quite am sure that they will be able to help you over the last hurdle, so to speak!
My final  passing comment is therefore, to err on the side of caution. But the real value, will most likely be measured the number of  “long drinks”  to served on the fantail of a cruise ship out of Lauderdale; rather than the price of a cruise ticket itself!

Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.